Though hand washing a few items doesn’t seem so bad, a dishwasher that won’t start leaves you with a pile to tackle. Why won’t my Bosch dishwasher turn on? A wash cycle won’t start if the door isn’t properly closed and latched. Troubleshoot a Bosch dishwasher not starting with these DIY tips.
5 Reasons for a Bosch Dishwasher Not Starting
While a repair is unavoidable for most part failures, usually a simple adjustment can fix a Bosch dishwasher not starting. From power problems to water supply issues, these common reasons can halt your dishwasher in its tracks.
1. Dishwasher Power Supply Problem
Almost every appliance requires electrical power and the dishwasher is no different. Before assessing other issues, make sure it has adequate access to power.
Here’s how to investigate power supply problems:
- Power cord isn’t plugged in: Make sure the electrical cord is completely plugged into a functioning outlet. Avoid using extension cords that can’t transmit the voltage required, causing surges that interrupt power.
- Power switch is off: Most dishwashers are connected to a kitchen switch that must be on to deliver power. Make sure the corresponding switch is turned on, considering that it may be located under the kitchen sink.
- Tripped circuit breaker: Check your home circuit breaker box and reset any tripped breakers.
2. Door Is Not Latched Shut
To prevent leaks, a Bosch dishwasher won’t start until the door is completely closed and latched. Once the latch engages, its switch signals the main control board to start a wash cycle. To engage the latch, make sure the door is firmly closed.
If the latch is broken, however, it won’t signal the control panel to begin washing. Examine the latch at the top of the dishwasher’s door. If it shows visible damage or no continuity with multimeter testing, it should be professionally replaced.
3. Need to Change Dishwasher Cycle Settings
Always check the dishwasher’s control panel before starting the dishwasher. It can alert you to an incorrect cycle setting or problem that prevents an immediate start.
Look for the following cycle settings and control panel alerts:
- No cycle selected: Wondering how to start a Bosch dishwasher? If a cycle setting isn’t selected, a wash cycle won’t begin. Always make sure a cycle is selected before pressing the Start button.
- Incorrect cycle selected: Certain selected functions can prevent an immediate start. Delay Start delays the start of a wash cycle to a preselected later time. Meanwhile, the Bosch dishwasher Child Lock function locks all control panel settings. Consult your Bosch dishwasher manual to unlock these functions, as the process varies depending on your model dishwasher. Resetting the dishwasher can also cancel any selected functions, though this process also varies according to your dishwasher model.
- Error codes: A Bosch dishwasher control panel will display an error code if a problem is halting its start or altering its function. Refer to your user manual to look up the code’s meaning and how to resolve the issue.
- Control panel is wet or damaged: Excessive moisture or electronic failure can cause control panel malfunctions. When this happens, it won’t be able to respond to your commands. If one or more of the buttons on the control panel is unresponsive, it may require professional replacement.
4. Dishwasher Water Supply Problem
If your dishwasher turns on but won’t fill, a water supply issue could be preventing it from starting. Make sure the dishwasher’s hose is properly connected to your home’s water supply and that the supply valve is turned on. Be sure to check the hose for kinks that can restrict water flow, straightening the hose if necessary.
If the hose is properly positioned and connected, it’s possible the dishwasher’s water inlet valve has malfunctioned. This valve governs water flow by opening when the dishwasher needs water from your home supply. If it malfunctions and remains closed, the dishwasher won’t receive sufficient water. A faulty water inlet valve should be professionally assessed and replaced.
5. Faulty Dishwasher Components
Is your Bosch dishwasher not starting after trying these DIY tips? A faulty part may ultimately be why. A blown thermal fuse cuts off power to the washer while a control board malfunction won’t distribute that power to the right function. Similarly, a broken timer won’t allow power to flow to the correct function at the right time. All of these parts require replacement by a professional dishwasher repair service.
The team at Twin Appliances can fix a Bosch dishwasher not starting or any other concern. Schedule your expert service today!